TASP 2003 at UT Austin: The Mystery of Creativity



reasonably remarkable



Friday, August 22, 2003
As Jacob so astutely pointed out in his pubspeak, most of us shower on a regular basis and come up with the odd thoughts one seems to develop best in the shower on a regular basis. (I know, Jacob's argument was different, but I'm severely misquoting for the purposes of the direction of my post) Bryan, I too thought about Kafka in the shower this morning, it was very difficult because the water temperature kept fluctuating (welcome to the Philippines) and it was rather distracting. But this is what I came up with:

Bryan, I agree with you on the symbolism of the machine. Thanks for resolving what the defective wheel is supposed to be - it's been bothering me for a while. What intrigued me however is the Kafka's relevance not so much to Panopticism but 'The body of the comdemned' (must satisfy my sadistic drives). This was the "Body and Soul" week. Foucault talked about how penal systems moved away from punishing the body to punishing the soul. The machine in the penal colony - must quote-drop here just to pretend I know what I'm saying - "the shape of the Harrow corresponds to the human form" (199) - the machine inscribes the punishment onto the body for six hours until the message finally reaches the soul. What does everyone make of that?

And Tara, thank you for your middle name, I promise never to forget it again. As for the italics, you have you select the text you want in italics first before clicking the italics button. < strong > and < em > I believe are html tags. If you want to italicize your text manually, type in the flag < em > before you start your italicized text, and when you're done close it with < /em >. [the flags don't really have any spaces in them]

Love always,

XML This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?
 
 
[ recommended for discussion ]
Existentialism is A Humanism, Essay by Sarte
preface to the lyrical ballads
the trial
heidegger's what calls for thinking
When Life Almost Died (deals with the Permian mass Extinction)
elizabeth costello
the god of small things
jung's aion
foucault's pendulum
coetzee's nobel acceptance speech
faulkner's nobel acceptance speech
koestler's The Act of Creation: part one, the jester
my mother and the roomer
Tao, the Greeks, and other important things
rosencrantz and guildenstern are dead

endgame
the book of job
Trilobites
joseph campbell