TASP 2003 at UT Austin: The Mystery of Creativity



reasonably remarkable



Friday, August 15, 2003
Checking the blog site is already a routine part of my otherwise monotonous life. Oh, and running, dear God, AIM, in hopes that one of you happen to be pulling an all-nighter (hasn't happened yet, you lucky people still living off of summer left over). Came back from school today and the New York area blackout was on the news - hope you survived that (sorry you get very little sympathy from me; we get blackouts every time it rains). Mainly due to the sudden flood of blogger invitation acceptances I'd gotten in my email this week my inbox has reached an impressive 314 messages, and I thought of dear Olga, who was born on Pi Day. And who is now enjoying herself in Italy... I miss all the girl talks, I really do. Without you around to offer to accompany me to the gym (even though you knew I'd never say yes, you kept asking) I'm getting lazy with my sit-up resolution, and I get so afraid I'd revert to being my mediocre pre-Telluride self again.

Having to get up at 6:30 every morning, I'm already getting lazy with the morning pages I vowed to keep up with.

"Discipline me!" (- Bryan, my Korean buddy. I'm getting good kimchi, you? And my "real" water - bori cha, which I drink without pouring it first into a smelling cup)

I went shopping for school supplies yesterday and I bought a frame for your Rothko photograph, Alex, black because you'd signed it in black ink, and underneath the glass the signature really doesn't show. I told you you should have signed in silver!

Eunice, every time I sit at a piano I think of your composition, I can't ever get it out of my head. You have to send all of us copies of the score... I'm regaining my tone - without all the talent around that filled the house over TASP my flute sounds, oddly enough, a lot nicer. Not that it's a good thing, because I'd start playing and I'd be pleased with myself then start kicking myself for being happy for the wrong reason.

Brian - I noticed that Cleveland was also affected by the blackout, hope you're doing well enough without electricity. You can work by moonlight if Matthew doesn't start charging you for your light... I think I just might switch my extended essay question to Anne Sexton, isn't that awful? Oh that woman...

Adam - I would really, really, really relish a copy of TEX-men. Is it possible for you to burn a copy and mail it, please? Please?

Jamie - this is my first time blogging (I'd never sworn against it though) but I think anything you put up would be fine. Put your morning pages up if you like and we would (at least I would) peruse it with the utmost interest. Thanks for mailing my project to Professor Randall!

Sorry, I didn't start the blog meaning to post personal messages to people I could send annoying little emails to instead - but now that I've typed all this up I'm reluctant to take it apart and send it in little emails (because I'm still holding on to the idea of 314 messages in my inbox - it holds special poignance) so I apologize... I really do have a great deal more to say but now I feel somewhat guilty taking up all this space with my ramblings, like the person who takes all the caviar off the communal salad.

People still need to email me their work--

XML This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?
 
 
[ recommended for discussion ]
Existentialism is A Humanism, Essay by Sarte
preface to the lyrical ballads
the trial
heidegger's what calls for thinking
When Life Almost Died (deals with the Permian mass Extinction)
elizabeth costello
the god of small things
jung's aion
foucault's pendulum
coetzee's nobel acceptance speech
faulkner's nobel acceptance speech
koestler's The Act of Creation: part one, the jester
my mother and the roomer
Tao, the Greeks, and other important things
rosencrantz and guildenstern are dead

endgame
the book of job
Trilobites
joseph campbell