TASP 2003 at UT Austin: The Mystery of Creativity



reasonably remarkable



Thursday, August 21, 2003
Dear all,

I've had the most frightful experience today during Band. 4th period, end of the day, we were playing Sleepers, Awake! and of course I was falling asleep, and as all my meandering thoughts ultimately seem to return to TASP (of course!) it wasn't too different this time-- but you see, I'd realized that I had forgotten Tara's middle name! (her birthday, thankfully, I'd still remembered, but I had to rush to my calendar to check just in case) Alex, we've all been through it I think, trying to describe TASP and not being able to have anyone understand even a fraction of how great it'd been. "You've already said it was wonderful, can't you say anything else about it?" whine my friends who now refuse to listen to me on the matter. And I personally have given up trying to describe TASP, because every time I try my memory gets even dimmer and I'm so afraid of desecrating the memories (sacred and fragile like HRC manuscripts) in my gropings.

So. That is to say. This is why we have this blog. Praise technology. I love you guys.
(Tara, I still want your middle name, I am so sorry.) Did I already thank Kelsey for how beautiful it's become? By the way Kelsey, thank you for the clocks as well, I love them. :) (inconsequential addition to the smiley face archives) It gives me a feeling of genuine mushiness as I try to imagine (quite assuredly) what all of you would be doing now - with the exception of maybe Aimee, for whom it's a little past midnight, the common activity happens to be sleeping. (God, I hate this date line)

For Jacob, and anyone else who doesn't know what we're reading - we're reading Kafka's 'In the Penal Colony,' in our course packet. Metamorphosis is not on our list yet, but everyone's welcome to discuss it (preferably in relation to Penal Colony just so we're on the same page). We're reading the Willa/Edwin Muir translation - and in case we start spewing page numbers, I'm guessing the book is: "The Metamorphosis, in the Penal Colony, and Other Stories (Schocken Kafka Library)" How I got this information is a prime example of unprofessional research - I looked up Penal Colony on Amazon and checked all the page scans of sample pages (just the table of contents) to match the page numbers, but hopefully it's the right book. Excited to hear what everyone thinks...

Kudos to Natashia for sending in her project! It will be up on the site shortly - htmled, so that Alex has no opportunities to send me on more guilt-trips.

XML This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?
 
 
[ recommended for discussion ]
Existentialism is A Humanism, Essay by Sarte
preface to the lyrical ballads
the trial
heidegger's what calls for thinking
When Life Almost Died (deals with the Permian mass Extinction)
elizabeth costello
the god of small things
jung's aion
foucault's pendulum
coetzee's nobel acceptance speech
faulkner's nobel acceptance speech
koestler's The Act of Creation: part one, the jester
my mother and the roomer
Tao, the Greeks, and other important things
rosencrantz and guildenstern are dead

endgame
the book of job
Trilobites
joseph campbell