TASP 2003 at UT Austin: The Mystery of Creativity



reasonably remarkable



Friday, August 15, 2003
I forgot to post my recommendation of the day. I have resolved to be the geekiest of culture geeks this year - bear with me.

It was the week before the first drafts of our research papers were due. Because Brian and I were both working on Anne Sexton, we were sharing our resources (actually I was just leeching off of him most of the time) and I visited Bryan-and-Brian's room for the first time to get a copy of Middlebrook's biography of Sexton, and saw above his bed a poster of a Rothko painting. As much as I love it I am an art ignoramus; I don't remember the exact painting. I'm guessing Blue, Orange, and Red - but it could have been any combination of color names.

"I love that painting!" I had exclaimed.

"Now is it this particular painting that you love?" asked Brian.

And I didn't know what to say. I guessed then that my favorite Rothko was Red and Yellow (no. 12) because it's the most famous for some reason I only vaguely understand. But here it is - it must be difficult to fully appreciate Rothko without viewing the actual paintings (a privilege I've never had and most likely won't have for a while) but if you could go to [http://www.artchive.com/] and go to the Rothko section, and find your favorite Rothko.

Keep the creativity *flowing--

XML This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?
 
 
[ recommended for discussion ]
Existentialism is A Humanism, Essay by Sarte
preface to the lyrical ballads
the trial
heidegger's what calls for thinking
When Life Almost Died (deals with the Permian mass Extinction)
elizabeth costello
the god of small things
jung's aion
foucault's pendulum
coetzee's nobel acceptance speech
faulkner's nobel acceptance speech
koestler's The Act of Creation: part one, the jester
my mother and the roomer
Tao, the Greeks, and other important things
rosencrantz and guildenstern are dead

endgame
the book of job
Trilobites
joseph campbell