TASP 2003 at UT Austin: The Mystery of Creativity



reasonably remarkable



Sunday, August 10, 2003
Ten minutes ago I started Kazaa and with much fondness downloaded one song - you can already guess what it is. And with that playing over and over again in the background I checked my mail and of course, the blogs. Bryan had posted the lyrics, and I read along as "dulcet tones of Cat Stevens [that] warm the hearts of mankind" (I'm sorry Alex, I will quote you for the rest of my life) went on and on, and on again - all the while being a complete Sally, as Adam would say.

Typing this I've moved on from Cat Stevens. And yet each song I'd loved before TASP still has so much poignance, even more so than they did before. Each of them have some connection to one of you. Lux Aeterna from the Requiem for a Dream soundtrack, Jared, then the great Scott Joplin. The theme from Love Story, Aimee, Eunice. Bryan - Simon and Garfunkel (the song my computer chose happened to be America). John - Philosophy, Blackbird - you have to promise to play Ben Folds for me someday.

Turns out, even before we'd met, we'd had much more in common.


This morning my mother remarked that my hair had grown too much over six weeks. The hairdresser's name was Danny.

"Do you know Vilma Santos?"

I didn't.

"Very famous actress here. How long have you lived here? Can you speak Tagalog?"

I've lived here for eleven years. And I can't speak Tagalog.
But Danny with the composure of all creative beings on the planet spread my hair out across his open palms.

"Look, so dry. I can put [something that sounds disturbingly like cellophane], yes?"

No.

"And dye. To make it shiny, you know?"

And with that, I remembered.

"Do you have purple?" I asked carefully.

Danny exchanged a look with my mother, and that was the end of it.

"Ahh, so nice, you look like Vilma Santos, na!" said Danny over my black hair.

Sorry, guys. My hair will always be purple at heart.

XML This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?
 
 
[ recommended for discussion ]
Existentialism is A Humanism, Essay by Sarte
preface to the lyrical ballads
the trial
heidegger's what calls for thinking
When Life Almost Died (deals with the Permian mass Extinction)
elizabeth costello
the god of small things
jung's aion
foucault's pendulum
coetzee's nobel acceptance speech
faulkner's nobel acceptance speech
koestler's The Act of Creation: part one, the jester
my mother and the roomer
Tao, the Greeks, and other important things
rosencrantz and guildenstern are dead

endgame
the book of job
Trilobites
joseph campbell