TASP 2003 at UT Austin: The Mystery of Creativity



reasonably remarkable



Wednesday, October 29, 2003
Took the TOEFL (Test Of English as a Foreign Language) today and can now only think in chopped-up English. If you heard me rant about how they ripped $110 off of me before TASP, they took $130 now, but at least I got to take the test. That test is the devil; all of you are so blessed you never have to know those five dispicable letters.

My most heartfelt congratulations to all those who have or have had reason to brag (but haven't - like Tara).

Thought I'd let everyone know that I'm reading Lolita - that book every single one of you seemed to have recommended to me during what seems like the first week or something. I also finished The Handmaid's Tale last night but will not recommend it - but yes, it does seem Monica's converted me to feminist extremism.

Oh, Kelsey, I can relate completely to the 4005 Alexi - some time ago I actually tried counting the Alexi I've known personally, and I got to fifteen before I got to the Alexandras (okay, not 4005 but close enough). I was telling my friend about it and we established that the name should get its own abbreviation. I'm not sure if you have this there, but here 'Maria' is such a common name-component (it's not even a first name, it precedes the first name) that people just abbreviate it to Ma. I was asking my friend Alex Williamson (the one who looks like Matthew) why his parents named him Alex, and he answered: "They must have thought it sounded exotic." The rest of his name is Makaalaikalamaokeo Thierry.

My Halloween costume is - Tara, this will make you happy - the narrator from Fight Club. Actually my friend Fight-Club-obsessed friend Asti really, really wanted to dress up as Tyler and she needed someone to dress up as his doppleganger. Halloween here is very, very strange concept... first of all, no one says "Happy Halloween" - it's either "Merry Christmas" or "Trick or Treat." And trick-or-treating happens from about 12 noon to 5 in the afternoon, and of course, no one dresses up for trick-or-treat. Never mind, Halloween isn't too interesting here, that was the point I was trying to make.

XML This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?
 
 
[ recommended for discussion ]
Existentialism is A Humanism, Essay by Sarte
preface to the lyrical ballads
the trial
heidegger's what calls for thinking
When Life Almost Died (deals with the Permian mass Extinction)
elizabeth costello
the god of small things
jung's aion
foucault's pendulum
coetzee's nobel acceptance speech
faulkner's nobel acceptance speech
koestler's The Act of Creation: part one, the jester
my mother and the roomer
Tao, the Greeks, and other important things
rosencrantz and guildenstern are dead

endgame
the book of job
Trilobites
joseph campbell