TASP 2003 at UT Austin: The Mystery of Creativity



reasonably remarkable



Tuesday, November 04, 2003
First of all, yayyyy Dr. Chapelle for blogging! :)

Last night, instead of practicing for my IASAS Cultural Convention (this music/art exchange) audition today - the schedule of which I'd only learned of yesterday - I finally picked up 'Library of Babel.' (yes, I am ashamed that I hadn't touched it earlier) I remember, at one point Jacob threw out a discussion question about hexagons in the piece - and as irrelevant as it sounds now, this is what I think:

The first thing that came to my mind was that the number 6 is the smallest perfect number, as the Pythagoreans deemed it. But perhaps more relevant is that the regular hexagon is the regular polygon with the greatest number of sides that makes a tessellation. (correct me if I'm wrong, Eunice, Adam, or anyone else...) A tessellation so that the people of the library had reason to believe at one point that their world was "perhaps an infinite number of hexagonal galleries." (79) This is where I begin to stretch things, but maybe it might make sense. It did last night. As we know it's impossible to construct a tessellation out of circles; yet "the mystics claim that to them ecstasy reveals a round chamber." (80) The hexagon, as the regular polygon with the largest number of sides that fits into a tessellation on its own, is the closest thing they can get to a circle within the limits of their dimension. Borges dubs man "the imperfect librarian" (80) - to a [forced] extent the library's structure parallels the imperfect struggle for perfection. Perhaps, the divine forces that created the library were imperfect themselves? I don't know.

Okay, I'm done talking. But the Ninoy Aquino International Airport is not - labor quote:

"Congratulations. You have arrived."
- arrivals lobby of the international flights airport, Manila, Philippines.

XML This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?
 
 
[ recommended for discussion ]
Existentialism is A Humanism, Essay by Sarte
preface to the lyrical ballads
the trial
heidegger's what calls for thinking
When Life Almost Died (deals with the Permian mass Extinction)
elizabeth costello
the god of small things
jung's aion
foucault's pendulum
coetzee's nobel acceptance speech
faulkner's nobel acceptance speech
koestler's The Act of Creation: part one, the jester
my mother and the roomer
Tao, the Greeks, and other important things
rosencrantz and guildenstern are dead

endgame
the book of job
Trilobites
joseph campbell