TASP 2003 at UT Austin: The Mystery of Creativity



reasonably remarkable



Friday, November 14, 2003
Hello fellow TASPers!
Oberlin has 189 Steinway pianos and one of the best NMRs in the country!
This is a sleep-deprived, half-frozen Eunice in Oberlin speaking, after a long and tedious plane flight (thank goodness it was free). Apologies for my friend's intrusion. Anyhow, a few thoughts on the Hemingway--though they will not be well formulated ( I left my copy in the airport)--
The "girl" is the one that epxresses wants, feelings, etcetc, whereas the "man" is the one that presents expository facts. (there are a few exceptions). Anyhow, the girl never physically moves beyond the bar's bead-curtained room, but the man does, so perhaps they represent two different aspects/perspectives/voices within one individual. The fact that they conflict with one another in their expressed wants ("I don't care about anything but you" "I don't care about me"), and how their arguments build off one another's, shows some internal conflict within the collective "individual." Sorry for not being able to support my points with the text. I promise to further support my point after I get home on Sunday.

XML This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?
 
 
[ recommended for discussion ]
Existentialism is A Humanism, Essay by Sarte
preface to the lyrical ballads
the trial
heidegger's what calls for thinking
When Life Almost Died (deals with the Permian mass Extinction)
elizabeth costello
the god of small things
jung's aion
foucault's pendulum
coetzee's nobel acceptance speech
faulkner's nobel acceptance speech
koestler's The Act of Creation: part one, the jester
my mother and the roomer
Tao, the Greeks, and other important things
rosencrantz and guildenstern are dead

endgame
the book of job
Trilobites
joseph campbell