TASP 2003 at UT Austin: The Mystery of Creativity



reasonably remarkable



Monday, November 10, 2003
The Hemingway honestly confused me. I read it Sunday night I think, while my Bangkokian friend was telling me about a canoeing trip she went on for ToK (canoe, ToK, what's the relevance?) and it took me a second reading to figure out that the story wasn't set aboard a boat, and that nothing in the story even suggested boat in the first place. Hmm. I was under the impression that the operation was an abortion, from the line "But I don't want anybody but you. I don't want any one else." So John, I think that was the problem, although I have paid too little attention in Grade 8 Wellness to know what it means to "let the air in." ALso, how it was "man" versus "girl" - I took it as comment on the girl's naivete and and her [implied?] initial belief in the possibilites of the world - i.e. the white elephants. Sometimes the way she speaks is childishly stubborn ("I don't feel any way ... I just know things," and my favorite: "would you please please please please please please please stop talking?") and everything the man says sounds like he's just humoring her.

I found the setting of the story particularly interesting - perhaps because it took me so long to figure out where it was set - if the story is of a breaking of ideallistic beliefs / coming of age type the train station is that transition phase where they're waiting for something but don't know what. [when they finally realize, to quote John, 'the futility of what they are both chasing after,' where can you go from there?] "He looked up the tracks but could not see the train... He drank an Anis at the bar and looked at the people. They were all waiting reasonably for the train." - pretty lines, and I think it sort of relates to what I was saying, but actually I don't know what to make of it. So, there's my question: what does this mean?

I wanted to end the post with the question but I just want to voice out how annoying this story was when I read it. Because it's been recommended by a TASPer I don't want a pass a judgement too quickly, and don't think I understand the story enough to pass a valid judgement anyway, but it really, really annoyed me. John talked about love in the story - I've tried to find it but I found no hint of any sort of tender feeling in it one might be tempted to call love. I too was never too fond of Hemingway, although I probably haven't read enough of him to appreciate him as John does, but every now and then the prose gets too dry for my taste. Mmm, that's it. End-of-post question is at the end of the previous paragraph.

XML This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?
 
 
[ recommended for discussion ]
Existentialism is A Humanism, Essay by Sarte
preface to the lyrical ballads
the trial
heidegger's what calls for thinking
When Life Almost Died (deals with the Permian mass Extinction)
elizabeth costello
the god of small things
jung's aion
foucault's pendulum
coetzee's nobel acceptance speech
faulkner's nobel acceptance speech
koestler's The Act of Creation: part one, the jester
my mother and the roomer
Tao, the Greeks, and other important things
rosencrantz and guildenstern are dead

endgame
the book of job
Trilobites
joseph campbell