TASP 2003 at UT Austin: The Mystery of Creativity



reasonably remarkable



Monday, November 10, 2003
John Says:

Alex- I don't know why you don't like Hemmingway, I always find him just grand. In this story I think he is doing what he always does so well, explore human nature. I don't think there is any deep philosophical point or metephore in this one, correct me if I'm wrong anyone, but in this I think good ole' Ernie is taking a look at how people can manipulate the ones they seem to love through those very bonds of love. Whatever the operation is, the man clearly wants it to happen and the girl doesn't, but apparently will for the man's sake (and it is "man" and "girl" because that's what he calls them, giving the man a slightly higher intellectual standing in the story it seems to me).

Also, in the intro piece of narration Hemmingway describes them as "the american" and "the girl with him" which makes me see the American as a sort of traveler who has picked up this girl along the way and she resents it with her "no you wouldn't have" comment. The symbolism of the white elephents themselves seems to me to be the futility of what they are both chasing after, but will not find in Barcelona- she is searching for some sort of peace in him and his love, he is searching for ever greater new adventures (like the beer, or the white elephants) but will never find them either. Correct me if I'm wrong though, maybe I've just read mobie dick too many times.

Final thought, I never could figure out what problem he claims she had, do you think anyone is supposed to know? And where the hell are they at that bar? is Ebro a real place? (I ended with questions kelc.)

XML This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?
 
 
[ recommended for discussion ]
Existentialism is A Humanism, Essay by Sarte
preface to the lyrical ballads
the trial
heidegger's what calls for thinking
When Life Almost Died (deals with the Permian mass Extinction)
elizabeth costello
the god of small things
jung's aion
foucault's pendulum
coetzee's nobel acceptance speech
faulkner's nobel acceptance speech
koestler's The Act of Creation: part one, the jester
my mother and the roomer
Tao, the Greeks, and other important things
rosencrantz and guildenstern are dead

endgame
the book of job
Trilobites
joseph campbell