TASP 2003 at UT Austin: The Mystery of Creativity



reasonably remarkable



Sunday, November 16, 2003
My Weekend of Hell is beginning to come to an end, only to give way to Week of Hell - my ToK essay, which I've [theoretically] had all semester to work on, is due in thirteen hours and I have 229 words (or Tara's way, 229:1600 = 0.143) and a huge stack of TASP readings I'm sifting through for useful bits of ToKness.

It's amazing how much I've forgotten - I came across the Bordieu, thickly underlined everywhere, and wondered when and how I'd managed to read it, because I don't remember anything from it but that Monica made us all raise our hands and keep our hands up if we'd read the list of titles she read out, and the first book on that list was the Bible.
But then again, there's a special poignance to rereading this stuff when I'm supposed to be writing away - firstly, the second reading makes the text so much easier to understand. And of course, even in the cases where the second reading doesn't clarify anything (as in the section from Aristotle that was 75% Greek with footnotes) it raises exclusively Telluridian memories of laughing over the passage.

Although I'd love to bring up some relevant discussion on literature, I'm proving myself a victim of commercialization and pointing your attention to amazon.com's [relatively] new search-inside-a-book service. Amazon has "only" scanned 100,000 books so far, but it's amazing when the book you're looking for is one of them. In my desperation I'm quote-dropping like crazy in this essay, and this service is saving my life (even though it goes against scholarly convention, I dont' know) - because I'm in panic mode I can't afford to weigh its pros and cons but for the moment it's another triumph for technology. I recommend you all try it.

Congratulations to the Deep Springs applicants who have that ungodly number of essays out of the way.

Missing you, thinking of you--

XML This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?
 
 
[ recommended for discussion ]
Existentialism is A Humanism, Essay by Sarte
preface to the lyrical ballads
the trial
heidegger's what calls for thinking
When Life Almost Died (deals with the Permian mass Extinction)
elizabeth costello
the god of small things
jung's aion
foucault's pendulum
coetzee's nobel acceptance speech
faulkner's nobel acceptance speech
koestler's The Act of Creation: part one, the jester
my mother and the roomer
Tao, the Greeks, and other important things
rosencrantz and guildenstern are dead

endgame
the book of job
Trilobites
joseph campbell