TASP 2003 at UT Austin: The Mystery of Creativity



reasonably remarkable



Thursday, December 18, 2003
Awww thank you, John, Alex, my lack of a life/ inability to get over TASP has suddenly turned into something really really cool, and it makes me feel all warm and mushy inside. Although, John, I can't take credit for posting Bryan's aim link on the blog - that must have been Kelsey.

Christmas here is very, very odd, I can't even describe it. If I haven't said before, Christmas season lasts from early September to early April (with a slight break in October when they have Halloween decorations up next to the Christmas accessories). And Christmas and palm trees do not go nicely together.

Tintin. I too am vaguely familiar with TinTin - here, Cartoon Network, and before that the "i channel" (don't ask) used to show The Adventures of TinTin. Like Madeline, it was French but not that French with English dubbing.

Clockwork Orange - I said I had my brilliant underclassmen secretary/slave/successor read it with me (Paul is currently undergoing the TASP application process), and he says, and I sort of agree:

hey,
I just finished A Clockwork Orange. (It was really horrorshow.) Does your edition have Burgess' introduction? It basically explains the situation concerning the 21st chapter. I kinda pony Kubrick's reason for not including it; the last chapter wouldn't really play out horrorshow on the film screen.
I think what the inclusion (or non-inclusion) of the 21st affects is not the overall emotional impact of the book's message but the message itself. In the slovos of Burgess himself, "The twenty-first chapter gives the novel the quality of genuine fiction, an art founded on the principle that human beings change. ... When a fictional work fails to show change, then you are out of the field of the novel and into that of the fable or the allegory. The American or Kubrickian Orange is a fable; the British or world one is a novel." I do agree, though, that the transition wasn't very smooth. By waiting until the denouement before introducing Alex's transformation, it made his change of heart seem anticlimactic and somewhat perfunctory.
Amen, and all that cal...


End-of-post question: HOW'S THE SNOW? HOW'S THE SNOW? IT'S SNOWING, ISN'T IT?

XML This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?
 
 
[ recommended for discussion ]
Existentialism is A Humanism, Essay by Sarte
preface to the lyrical ballads
the trial
heidegger's what calls for thinking
When Life Almost Died (deals with the Permian mass Extinction)
elizabeth costello
the god of small things
jung's aion
foucault's pendulum
coetzee's nobel acceptance speech
faulkner's nobel acceptance speech
koestler's The Act of Creation: part one, the jester
my mother and the roomer
Tao, the Greeks, and other important things
rosencrantz and guildenstern are dead

endgame
the book of job
Trilobites
joseph campbell