TASP 2003 at UT Austin: The Mystery of Creativity



reasonably remarkable



Wednesday, January 14, 2004
Jacob, Thank You! I couldn't remember it for the life of me, and some things are difficult to find unless you already know where they are.

A third person asked me about TASP today, and I have begun to realize that far too many people will apply for the sum 60 positions that we were so lucky to have qualified for. A girl from my choir may be visiting the site so everyone tries to sound smart (ha). right.

For all you who prophesize my dolphin-intercourse, I finally have moved into the Marine Mammal Department at the Shedd. It means I have to do all the cleaning and dirty work of an intern for 6 hours instead of 40 in a given week, and my swipe card doesn't open any of the important doors. I get to be one of those vital-looking persons who stands behind the beluga trainer at some of the shows and doesn't actually do anything (I need like 40 hours at certain tasks before I can touch or train animals)...I'm qualified for a Penguin tactile in six weeks, so after feeding the birds I get to push them into the water so that they have to swim.

O, and I read King Lear for English. Bloom was right, Shakespeare thought of modern psychology long before any of those other old dead guys...and he invented the wheel too. I do ponder however, one thing. Did Shakespeare use archetypes for characters like Cordelia (the perfect loving daughter) and Edmund the Bastard (need I say more?), or did he establish these archetypes? I'm sure they have some relation to medieval story characters, but these are, as Bloom would agree, some of the most complex and complete beings in the world of literature.

Hey everyone, since I don't know, and it might be an interesting literary exercise, would anyone here be able to describe the taste of a persimmon to me?

"Horseback on Sunday morning, harvest over,
We taste persimmon and wild grape,
Sharp sweet of summer's end."
-Wendell Berry, from Wild Geese

XML This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?
 
 
[ recommended for discussion ]
Existentialism is A Humanism, Essay by Sarte
preface to the lyrical ballads
the trial
heidegger's what calls for thinking
When Life Almost Died (deals with the Permian mass Extinction)
elizabeth costello
the god of small things
jung's aion
foucault's pendulum
coetzee's nobel acceptance speech
faulkner's nobel acceptance speech
koestler's The Act of Creation: part one, the jester
my mother and the roomer
Tao, the Greeks, and other important things
rosencrantz and guildenstern are dead

endgame
the book of job
Trilobites
joseph campbell