TASP 2003 at UT Austin: The Mystery of Creativity



reasonably remarkable



Wednesday, February 25, 2004
I stayed away from the blog for five days and it tore at my soul. I'm baaaccckkk from Baguio* and I get this odd suspicion that you guys are a lot more talkative when I'm not around. Hmmmm. Give me time to digest the posts and update the recommendations list (sorry). Congrats to Alex and Eunice, to Adrian and Brian (18!!!), and anyone else who can prolong a discussion on 'saxophone' for as long as we have.

*Baguio=mountain city 6-12 hours North of Manila depending on the traffic. It was the anniversary of the People Power revolution** today, and the not-so-powerful people of Manila celebrated by throwing a rally. Coming back from Baguio, we saw a thick column of black smoke rising from Edsa, one of the three [real] roads in Manila, and at least thirteen fire trucks passed us while we waited in the traffic.

**The original was in 1986 when they overthrew Marcos and dear Imelda. Part II was the cellphone revolution.

***this is not a footnote but I like the asterisks. Adrian - I have absolutely no idea why it came from Singapore. I sent the letter from Manila, and the music/art exchange that won't take place till the second week of March is in Kuala Lumpur this year. Strange - they accidentally sent my camera to Singapore when I took it to the service center to get it repaired... Oh, also, I haven't read anything from the Upanishad but Dr. Monas mentioned it in relation to Vico's thunder story. He raised his fist a little to emphasize each word as he said, Datta. Dayadhvam. Damyata.

****this isn't a footnote either, but I wanted to end this post with two music recommendations. I'm not sure if I've talked about the Brahms piano quartet (G minor, op. 25) already but it's all I've been listening to the three weeks prior to Baguio. While I was in Baguio, though, I found myself making my friend sing-play Elliot Smith's Between the Bars on a daily basis.

Looking forward to the reunions--
(you know I'll at least be there in spirit)

XML This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?
 
 
[ recommended for discussion ]
Existentialism is A Humanism, Essay by Sarte
preface to the lyrical ballads
the trial
heidegger's what calls for thinking
When Life Almost Died (deals with the Permian mass Extinction)
elizabeth costello
the god of small things
jung's aion
foucault's pendulum
coetzee's nobel acceptance speech
faulkner's nobel acceptance speech
koestler's The Act of Creation: part one, the jester
my mother and the roomer
Tao, the Greeks, and other important things
rosencrantz and guildenstern are dead

endgame
the book of job
Trilobites
joseph campbell