TASP 2003 at UT Austin: The Mystery of Creativity



reasonably remarkable



Wednesday, February 11, 2004
Lost in Translation: ironically, the movie was released in Korea under the translated title, "Can Love be Translated?" in pink bubble letters. For months now I've been looking for an English translation of this Korean short story to share with you, and I've finally had a copy faxed to me from some random place in the US. I know there are eleven items or something on the up-for-discussion list on the right, but still, in a feat of what Bryan calls KP, I'd like to recommend Chu Yo-Sup's 'My Mother and the Roomer' ('Sarang sonnim gua omoni') to you and see what everyone thinks. I'm somewhat disappointed with how clunky it is in English; originally it's written in the vernacular but in Chu Yo-Sup's own textbook English it sounds like a Zen text. But, even though the story's lost much of its subtlety, it's forgivable because Chu Yo-Sup translated it himself in what I believe was his third language that he learned in Japan, and it's one of my all-time favorite short stories, and I don't know, it'll be fun to discuss it I think. And I'm sure Susan's read it in Korean so she can share her bilinguial insight.

Missing you,

XML This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?
 
 
[ recommended for discussion ]
Existentialism is A Humanism, Essay by Sarte
preface to the lyrical ballads
the trial
heidegger's what calls for thinking
When Life Almost Died (deals with the Permian mass Extinction)
elizabeth costello
the god of small things
jung's aion
foucault's pendulum
coetzee's nobel acceptance speech
faulkner's nobel acceptance speech
koestler's The Act of Creation: part one, the jester
my mother and the roomer
Tao, the Greeks, and other important things
rosencrantz and guildenstern are dead

endgame
the book of job
Trilobites
joseph campbell