TASP 2003 at UT Austin: The Mystery of Creativity



reasonably remarkable



Saturday, March 27, 2004
Susan, Adam, cyber-punch me if I step on toes: But I kinda disagree. I don't think Asians are the most acceptable to joke about (besides possibly Native Americans, or definitely 'white trash') because they are the newest immigrant race for a few reasons. 1st is because most Asians in America are more than 4 generations in, and live on the left coast; often with genealogy dating them back to the great Asian migrations of the 1800s. Secondly, they are the butt of jokes because they are the most "successful" of the minorities. thus, they are attacked for it. I would postulate that Asians are 'attacked' because others are both defensive against the "model minority" and because they can justify it to themselves and others by saying, "I'm not keeping anyone down because they're already so sucsessful."

I think it is socially unacceptable to joke about African-Americans because the civil right movement, more than anything, made whites feel ashamed. But if I had to pick one race that was being treated the worst in America, it would be any Spanish-Speaking person. In rightwing politics these days it is a staple to presume that 'spics's are threatening 'our' culture. And in terms of studies and whatnot, it is virtually impossible for Hispanics to rent or buy houses in 'white' areas and only 'very hard' for blacks. Asians have trouble too, but not nearly the way other races seem to.

I know there are things I just said that are wrong at least a little bit, or disputable at least. So please comment. Besides maybe the GLBT movement, race and social class seem to me to be the most important social issues of our day. The civil rights movement to me does not seem to have ever been truly fulfilled. At least, not in Omaha.

XML This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?
 
 
[ recommended for discussion ]
Existentialism is A Humanism, Essay by Sarte
preface to the lyrical ballads
the trial
heidegger's what calls for thinking
When Life Almost Died (deals with the Permian mass Extinction)
elizabeth costello
the god of small things
jung's aion
foucault's pendulum
coetzee's nobel acceptance speech
faulkner's nobel acceptance speech
koestler's The Act of Creation: part one, the jester
my mother and the roomer
Tao, the Greeks, and other important things
rosencrantz and guildenstern are dead

endgame
the book of job
Trilobites
joseph campbell