TASP 2003 at UT Austin: The Mystery of Creativity



reasonably remarkable



Saturday, April 10, 2004
Did anyone catch "My life translated" on mtv? Suchin pak hosts it and I think it is relevant to our discussiong. It talked about how crazy asians are ^_^. Well basically it talked about the eye thing ( you know what I mean dammit) and how alot of asians get eye surgery to get like a fold on the eyelid thus making the opening bigger. Their excuses? "we just want to fit it," "we are just adapting to western culture," "I didn't want to be picked on." I was like ewww. I dragged my mom in to watch and she was like " you should get it done! I want to." She went on to say that "vietnamese people believe your soul is in your eyes. DOn't you watn your eyes to be beautiful?" haha after the girl on the show had surgery, my mom went on to say "See she looks better. Now she just needs to work on that baby fat..."

I thought it was kinda crazy I mean I rather like the eyes thing (i.e. ^_^ ). To all you koreans, my mom also said that chinese eyes are better that korean eyes haha even my mom is helping to spark racial tensions. Then again, she also said "Men don't need to be pretty, they need to be big strong and smart. Girls don't need to be smart, they just need to be pretty. (so I guess all of you female taspers are going overkilling it ^_^). To conclude, my mom suggested koreans should marry white folkso that their offspring will have nice eyes. (Susan tae-youn and bryan I assure you that my mom is not racist-she's just a little old fashioned your parents are like that right? I won't begin to talk about our discussion about gay marriage...)

Oh and another thing, I want to make an interesting example of my mom. She said "Sum jiy (me) we are in another people's country. They look down on us, and we must hold ou rselves up hey to be respectable. You must be polite, a good tipper, good dresser, etc. If you embarass yourself, you embarass all asians." It's kind of funny that everything children are against the parents endorse rather readily.It's not just my mom right?

XML This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?
 
 
[ recommended for discussion ]
Existentialism is A Humanism, Essay by Sarte
preface to the lyrical ballads
the trial
heidegger's what calls for thinking
When Life Almost Died (deals with the Permian mass Extinction)
elizabeth costello
the god of small things
jung's aion
foucault's pendulum
coetzee's nobel acceptance speech
faulkner's nobel acceptance speech
koestler's The Act of Creation: part one, the jester
my mother and the roomer
Tao, the Greeks, and other important things
rosencrantz and guildenstern are dead

endgame
the book of job
Trilobites
joseph campbell