TASP 2003 at UT Austin: The Mystery of Creativity



reasonably remarkable



Monday, April 05, 2004
I have been away from the machine for a week. I missed you all so much. I really (now) recognize how much I like this blog.

Brian, as I believe I've said to you before, you are linguistically accurate person that I know. I agree with the following:

"I think this highlights an important side of racism, which is that one of its primary fuels is that the different racial groups are in competition for a limited supply of the American dream." and admire how it was phrased. As for "I think if we could, as a nation, snuff out this mentality, the remnants of racism might die within the next few generations," I believe that our current brand would definitely be forced out of the mainstream, the general tendency for humans to judge based on superficial anatomical characteristics will probably never die (though it will probably be socially suppressed in the ideal future).

Tae Yeoun, while it is often the case that hybrid children will adopt the culture of the parent of a 'dominant' background, this is not always the case. I know of several people who A) select the non-dominant culture because there are empowering stereotypes associated with that identity and embracing those stereotypes allows the individual to compensate for, or ignore other identity issues, or B) select a 'neither' category. I believe the 'neither-choice' segment of the population must reach a critical mass (inclined individuals) before individuals who chose that route are able to socially aggregate and remain socially well adapted, but what do I know. Such is what I think.

On the issue of college, I don't know about the rest of you all, but I've had a dream shattered. So I got this community scholarship to U of Chicago for tuition, and while I was happy I was not thrilled. I really wanted to go to Yale, right? so I wait a few days, and hear from like seven schools, only being waitlisted for Stanford (I have a C in Trig and a few B's in math) but such is life. I had narrowed my decision down to either Wash U (40g renewable) and Chicago (offering tuition) when the bit fat envelope from Yale came. I was coming home at about 7:30 from Marine Mammals, where I'll be doing secondary animal husbandry for like 16 weeks, and my dad hands me the large parcel. Time began to slow. I was so excited to open this beautiful blue folder and read the letter therein. It was all so wonderful, it was like winning the lotto on christmas and getting laid. I was accepted, and was honestly happy for about 30 seconds -a rare thing for me.
then I looked at the financial envelope, and put my head down on the table.
...they expect my family to contribute $32,322 for the first year, and more and more over the next four and four.
My family can't do it, so I can't go.
I had about seven shots of rum and went to bed.


Alex, If you are in Chicago, you can stay in our house should you be inclined to visit. There is a bed on the third floor, and we can hang, yo. We can visit the aquarium and talk at the animals. I will probably be with you at U of C, it'll be nice.

XML This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?
 
 
[ recommended for discussion ]
Existentialism is A Humanism, Essay by Sarte
preface to the lyrical ballads
the trial
heidegger's what calls for thinking
When Life Almost Died (deals with the Permian mass Extinction)
elizabeth costello
the god of small things
jung's aion
foucault's pendulum
coetzee's nobel acceptance speech
faulkner's nobel acceptance speech
koestler's The Act of Creation: part one, the jester
my mother and the roomer
Tao, the Greeks, and other important things
rosencrantz and guildenstern are dead

endgame
the book of job
Trilobites
joseph campbell