TASP 2003 at UT Austin: The Mystery of Creativity



reasonably remarkable



Friday, May 28, 2004
Jacob, congratulations for deciding. You're funny as hell.

I probably should post an opinion relative to the conversation (and I will later tonight I think) but I logged on first and foremost to relay to you good people something that I found absolutely... I've written too much. It's not that funny. right.

So in The Ringworld Engineers by Larry Nivven, there is a device that can be implanted in the back of a human's skull that sends an electrical signal to the pleasure centers of the brain. People who try this sort of device once or twice become hopelessly addicted; no other pleasure, food, travel, discovery, sex, can ever measure up to the pure and unadulterated joy of direct neural stimulation. There are no side effects accept for the great propensity of weak-willed people to forget to eat and drink (then they die), which over the two centuries of the device's existence, has quietly eliminated many of the unwanted members of human society. This miracle drug cannot be dealt by drug-dealers because electricity costs almost nothing, and once the rather expensive surgery has been performed, it cannot be undone.. This device ladies and gentlemen is called a Droud if portable, and if stationary, as Tasp. The addicts are called Taspers (slang is Wirehead).
I thought it was funny.

Hey do you all ever meet a person, forget their name, and fail to mention it, so that later you are so well acquainted that you can't approach them and say "what's your name?" without appearing to be a complete ass?
I've had a new friend for about a week, and I dread calling her house. Why?
"Hi who is this?"
"Adrian."
"Alright, who do you want to talk to?"
"I don't know..."

Now I've wasted your time and thus your lives. I cannot ever give that back to you. Now, go read something intelligent.

XML This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?
 
 
[ recommended for discussion ]
Existentialism is A Humanism, Essay by Sarte
preface to the lyrical ballads
the trial
heidegger's what calls for thinking
When Life Almost Died (deals with the Permian mass Extinction)
elizabeth costello
the god of small things
jung's aion
foucault's pendulum
coetzee's nobel acceptance speech
faulkner's nobel acceptance speech
koestler's The Act of Creation: part one, the jester
my mother and the roomer
Tao, the Greeks, and other important things
rosencrantz and guildenstern are dead

endgame
the book of job
Trilobites
joseph campbell