TASP 2003 at UT Austin: The Mystery of Creativity



reasonably remarkable



Tuesday, June 01, 2004
I've abstained from the blog for over a week now in order to take a break from my yearlong practice of missing TASP and finally spend what's left of it missing high school and my friends and the Philippines. But I'm done sulking now. Sort of. I would post grad/prom pictures to encourage Susan to follow suit next month, but I feel somewhat sheepish about being the first, so I'll hide and wait for someone else to be braver. Meanwhile, I wish everyone all the best at South Dakota today (yesterday).

Yearbook business: Thanks, Kelsey, Adrian, and Olga, for posting suggestions for the questionnaire on the tagboard, and hope the contributions will keep coming.
I have a problem with having everyone who has a problem with email snail-mailing their pages to my sister, because my sister decided to hop on a plane and come here given two hours' notice that there was a seat for her on one of the fully booked Manila flights. So, if anyone would be willing to be the middle-person who receives the nonelectronic submissions, holds on to them, then passes them off to me on a given date, please email me. I know I said I myself would send out an email, but I'm waiting for the questionnaire list to pile reasonably so that I won't be annoying everyone with too many emails. But. It's coming.


The current discussion is fascinating, even though I'm not exactly sure which of the many topics thrown around it's on. On sin, however, I agree that, in ideal situations, only conscious choices can reach sin-status. But what do we call the stupid things we do out of ignorance that result in hurting others? I think sin is a concept developed backwards from effect to cause - a reason for punishment-or-atonement, whether or not it happens. Original sin, then, is where we point as the reason to all other suffering we ourselves as individuals are not responsible for. The essense of original sin, I think, is the idea that it's inherited; we suffer for something people before us did. Adam and Eve's taking from the Tree of Knowledge is the reason why we know evil and pain and cruelty and everything else outside of supreme goodness in Eden.

Anyway. It's two in the morning and I have yet to figure out where to place homosexuality once I develop an opinion.

I miss you all--

XML This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?
 
 
[ recommended for discussion ]
Existentialism is A Humanism, Essay by Sarte
preface to the lyrical ballads
the trial
heidegger's what calls for thinking
When Life Almost Died (deals with the Permian mass Extinction)
elizabeth costello
the god of small things
jung's aion
foucault's pendulum
coetzee's nobel acceptance speech
faulkner's nobel acceptance speech
koestler's The Act of Creation: part one, the jester
my mother and the roomer
Tao, the Greeks, and other important things
rosencrantz and guildenstern are dead

endgame
the book of job
Trilobites
joseph campbell