TASP 2003 at UT Austin: The Mystery of Creativity



reasonably remarkable



Thursday, June 10, 2004
Matt- yours is a faith that I respect. It seems the more I become one with the midwest, as every day seems to bring me closer to doing, I find many faiths I cannot respect.

While knocking on democrat's doors in iowa (for kerry, just before the caucus) I encountered many who had a faith in the democratic party, and thus whoever was "the front runner" was who they supported; their faith was unjustified. It was inherited. While knocking on doors in Nebraska, indiscriminat of party, I have found this the same with many Republicans. And while knocking on doors two weekends ago for Stephanie Herseth I found many of a Christian faith who seemed convinced Jesus votes republican and would punish them if they betrayed that.

What I'm trying to say is, I look around me and see all this blind faith, rarely do I see someone with a faith they have built inside themselves. A faith that is landed on the solid foundation of questions and answers, essentially on doubts defeated.

My nonfaith however is built on the foundation of doubts confirmed and questions unanswered. I would say Matt, that my nonfaith has run completeley parelell to your faith. If I could I would prefer your version I think. But in general my moments of belief end up confirming my doubts, and not the other way around. Does anyone else find this? What is it that makes someone believe in the face of doubt, and others not believe in the face of God, or seemingly Godly things. I am the son of two pastors, two people who believed so much they devoted their lives to it, so it can't simply be enviornment or genetics. Why don't I (and others like me, perhaps even on this blog) believe too?

Hopefully there will not be three days of inactivity after this, as there were after my last post or I will feel that it is somehow my fault when conversations go dormant.

XML This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?
 
 
[ recommended for discussion ]
Existentialism is A Humanism, Essay by Sarte
preface to the lyrical ballads
the trial
heidegger's what calls for thinking
When Life Almost Died (deals with the Permian mass Extinction)
elizabeth costello
the god of small things
jung's aion
foucault's pendulum
coetzee's nobel acceptance speech
faulkner's nobel acceptance speech
koestler's The Act of Creation: part one, the jester
my mother and the roomer
Tao, the Greeks, and other important things
rosencrantz and guildenstern are dead

endgame
the book of job
Trilobites
joseph campbell