TASP 2003 at UT Austin: The Mystery of Creativity



reasonably remarkable



Wednesday, August 25, 2004
Well, college starts in like, 10 days, and here I am wrestling with my second mono infection this year, hoping to recover. However, this summer has been better than I thought it would be. For one, I have discovered the music of Los Lonely Boys, the only non-anglos on Country Music Television and just a sweet, sweet band. Tara and Kelsey, the Garza brothers are hot and Texan, get their CD.
It's funny you mention the New Testament John; I've taken this summer to explore my faith before I'm caught up in the rush of college. I've been trying on lots of different hats: Kierkegaardian "Knight of Faith," agnostic, fundamentalist, mainline liberal. The common thread has been my inability to escape God, an idea wonderfully put forth by Flannery O'Connor in her novel Wise Blood.
I'd recommend N.T. Wright's New Testament and the People of God and Jesus and the Victory of God, for anyone who, like me, has as much trouble finding Jesus as escaping God. The author is a highly-regarded "traditionalist" author whose conclusions do support something like orthodox Christianity but arrive there by a very reasoned and public method.
I found his critical-realist epistemology to be a satisfying alternative to radical post-modern skepticism. His elaboration of this method in itself recommends NTPG to all Taspish souls.
If you have no time for that, at least listen to Los Lonely Boys.

XML This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?
 
 
[ recommended for discussion ]
Existentialism is A Humanism, Essay by Sarte
preface to the lyrical ballads
the trial
heidegger's what calls for thinking
When Life Almost Died (deals with the Permian mass Extinction)
elizabeth costello
the god of small things
jung's aion
foucault's pendulum
coetzee's nobel acceptance speech
faulkner's nobel acceptance speech
koestler's The Act of Creation: part one, the jester
my mother and the roomer
Tao, the Greeks, and other important things
rosencrantz and guildenstern are dead

endgame
the book of job
Trilobites
joseph campbell