TASP 2003 at UT Austin: The Mystery of Creativity



reasonably remarkable



Monday, October 25, 2004
yep. but i see opportunities a-plenty. :) What is everyone doing for thanksgiving break?

Matt- i'm waiting for your response! (you're not taking john's and alex's argument in silence, are you?!) A true case for bush! exciting. (that doesnt mean to be condescending/anti-bush- this college is just damn liberal)

My two cents on the presidential debates is pretty much just that I hate em.
I was banking on the debates, but no.
Kerry: "Random Meaningless Statement!�
Bush: "Random Meaningless Statement is wrong! (because of fact A, B, C, etc.) New R.M.S.!�
Kerry: "New R.M.S. is wrong! (b/c of D, E, and F)�

But the value of the matter in contention is still in the air.
It's stupid, and frankly, the ability to prove or disprove trivial statements is not something I look for in a president (and I’ll get by without esthetic gestures). But that said, there's nothing else to evaluate with.
So I unashamedly say that I will vote for Kerry for no logical reason.
Yes, Bush is bad for the environment, but so are atomic bombs.
Yes, Some of Bush’s actions hurt, but I don’t assume that “anyone would be better.�
And I have no idea who to believe.

I just dislike Bush. He doesn’t argue like a philosopher. He’s too proud of his integrity of decision (contrasted to Kerry’s wishy-washy-ness)-that kind of ‘integrity’ risks being drastically wrong. His debate behavior makes me feel like he doesn’t ask enough questions- I think Kerry thinks more. Partially, I relate more to Kerry- so I infer that he’d make more of the same decisions that I would.
Anyhow, this is why I am doing the least philosophical thing possible and voting on character. Please, someone give me reason to do otherwise.



XML This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?
 
 
[ recommended for discussion ]
Existentialism is A Humanism, Essay by Sarte
preface to the lyrical ballads
the trial
heidegger's what calls for thinking
When Life Almost Died (deals with the Permian mass Extinction)
elizabeth costello
the god of small things
jung's aion
foucault's pendulum
coetzee's nobel acceptance speech
faulkner's nobel acceptance speech
koestler's The Act of Creation: part one, the jester
my mother and the roomer
Tao, the Greeks, and other important things
rosencrantz and guildenstern are dead

endgame
the book of job
Trilobites
joseph campbell