TASP 2003 at UT Austin: The Mystery of Creativity



reasonably remarkable



Saturday, January 08, 2005
That's amazing Matt! I came within inches of quoting The Brothers but didn't because the details in my head were too hazy and I couldn't find the passage I wanted. If I had read Dostoevsky before Tasp I would have quoted him the way I did to Milan Kundera and Sarte.

There is a wonderful website at www.thecry.com which is my homepage for stuff like this. The section on existentialism always seems to have an answer for me- even if it is not the one I want or agree with. Specifically, on the site, there is another much shorter work by Dostoevsky called "The Dream of the ridiculous Man" which also reminded me of this.
If it weren't so long I'd recommend it.

Also- in the ridiculously over my head and yet best things I've ever read category is this essay by sarte which sums up most things I have ever read and agreed with into one essay (albeit a crazy long one). So I'm officialy recommending it- and reiterating my question about what conclusions people reach when they read that story Alex B posted, if any.

XML This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?
 
 
[ recommended for discussion ]
Existentialism is A Humanism, Essay by Sarte
preface to the lyrical ballads
the trial
heidegger's what calls for thinking
When Life Almost Died (deals with the Permian mass Extinction)
elizabeth costello
the god of small things
jung's aion
foucault's pendulum
coetzee's nobel acceptance speech
faulkner's nobel acceptance speech
koestler's The Act of Creation: part one, the jester
my mother and the roomer
Tao, the Greeks, and other important things
rosencrantz and guildenstern are dead

endgame
the book of job
Trilobites
joseph campbell