TASP 2003 at UT Austin: The Mystery of Creativity



reasonably remarkable



Thursday, August 25, 2005
First of all, who ever recommended Flatland to the list, thankyou. it was great. It was too short, and makes me really wish I could imagine what the sum of all spheres could look like. Speaking of Relativity, trying to "see" things described by math frustrates the mind.

so I was flying from Chicago to Orlando on southwest, and ended up sitting next to this patriot dude, who asked about the book I was reading. He spoke like a mild skeptic, but there was a conservative religious undertook to his voice that was kinda like "You're hair is far too big, and I don't like the look of those pants, and what you're talking about isn't right because it makes questionable my foundations in life." The dude somehow ended every argument with "and that's what makes America Great" even if we were talking about "how we know or don't know the number of dimensions in existence." It was odd. We talked about China and India for a while too. He had been all over Europe and Asia, but I had the impression that he didn't like the dirt in dirty places. Nice guy though.

If I believed in Math, I wouldn't know how many dimensions there are, luckily dimensions are only a little more real than "seven" and a little less real than 'Orange'...Though orange is far more subjective and fickle (since you can get away with calling most yellows or reds a shade of orange).

A word of advice to all; if a girl asks you "so where does this put you and me" the correct answer isn't "It doesn't really matter to me" ... A better answer that says almost the same thing is "where ever you think is right." ... crap.. o well.

Alright kids, don't do milk, stay in drugs, and drink your school.
I have to head over to the Afam house to express to the Cultural Connections kids how diverse Yale is supposed to be. Best of luck to everyone in the next year. I want you all to drink and streak more often.

XML This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?
 
 
[ recommended for discussion ]
Existentialism is A Humanism, Essay by Sarte
preface to the lyrical ballads
the trial
heidegger's what calls for thinking
When Life Almost Died (deals with the Permian mass Extinction)
elizabeth costello
the god of small things
jung's aion
foucault's pendulum
coetzee's nobel acceptance speech
faulkner's nobel acceptance speech
koestler's The Act of Creation: part one, the jester
my mother and the roomer
Tao, the Greeks, and other important things
rosencrantz and guildenstern are dead

endgame
the book of job
Trilobites
joseph campbell