TASP 2003 at UT Austin: The Mystery of Creativity



reasonably remarkable



Monday, August 29, 2005
I confess to secretly checking this blog without posting. Shamed, I'm coming out with my hands behind my head. (and yes, whatever I say or do can and should be held against me)

First, to answer Tae-Yeoun's question: eigenvectors and eigenvalues are related to solving matrices, or systems of equations. Let's say that for some transformational matrix--matrix "A"--changes a variable x to a variable y. We can write this like:

Ax ---> y

For some special X's (which can be linear expressions, like 2w + 3, 4, or 3w - 5q), y is a numerical multiple of x. Let's call this numerical multiple, or scalar, "K." Hence, for a specific X,

AX --->KX

In this case, the eigenvector is X, and the eigenvalue is K. Finding eigenvectors and eigenvalues of systems of equations expedites the process of finding their solutions. Sorry for the didactic post--I'm sure someone else can explain it more clearly.

Moving out of math, I returned to Boston from China last week to finish my lab work. China was amazing...

I feel compelled to put up a poem to compensate for the science-dork-nasal-tone of my post (yes, I'm typing this in lab.) But, alas, the lab has no poetry. Someone please post something literary before I lose it all and start enjoying the soft humming sound of the centrifuge.

XML This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?
 
 
[ recommended for discussion ]
Existentialism is A Humanism, Essay by Sarte
preface to the lyrical ballads
the trial
heidegger's what calls for thinking
When Life Almost Died (deals with the Permian mass Extinction)
elizabeth costello
the god of small things
jung's aion
foucault's pendulum
coetzee's nobel acceptance speech
faulkner's nobel acceptance speech
koestler's The Act of Creation: part one, the jester
my mother and the roomer
Tao, the Greeks, and other important things
rosencrantz and guildenstern are dead

endgame
the book of job
Trilobites
joseph campbell