TASP 2003 at UT Austin: The Mystery of Creativity



reasonably remarkable



Thursday, April 13, 2006
Brilliant point about the sacred.
If there's one things that drugs seem to blur, its the idea of the sacred, the "do not touch" and the "separate." If Everything and nothing are sacred, how could any one thing be different. It does seem that religions all make something sacred. Perhaps its more of cultural process?

There was a strong movement to create a collective drug culture in the 60's, but it wasn't allowed to mature into its own system of ritual and belief, I feel, because it was cut short by the governments of the developed world. There's always the future.

As far as the Christian Mystics being completely drug free, there may be room to question this claim, but I'm underinformed, so don't want to speak with any authority on a subject I don't understand. There are a few books floating around that claim that Amanita muscaria and a couple of other mushrooms were used by early mystics and that there has been a recent "drug purge." This summer I'll do some reading about and hopefully will have better things to say in the future.
...
The question I asked, Bryan, wasn't meant to be too complicated, though I'd value any answer. Clearly I'll drop when I get the chance and Brian won't (ironically for very similar reasons). Looking back though, I realize that I was a silly way to ask.

at least the blotter art is nice (pink elephants on parade)

XML This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?
 
 
[ recommended for discussion ]
Existentialism is A Humanism, Essay by Sarte
preface to the lyrical ballads
the trial
heidegger's what calls for thinking
When Life Almost Died (deals with the Permian mass Extinction)
elizabeth costello
the god of small things
jung's aion
foucault's pendulum
coetzee's nobel acceptance speech
faulkner's nobel acceptance speech
koestler's The Act of Creation: part one, the jester
my mother and the roomer
Tao, the Greeks, and other important things
rosencrantz and guildenstern are dead

endgame
the book of job
Trilobites
joseph campbell